Sunday, January 18, 2015

New pins and a new pincushion

The pins I use are old. I love them, but the heads are plastic and they're so old the plastic has gotten brittle. I have butterflies missing wings, and hearts that are broke in half. I do have other pins I could use, but I'd read about glass head pins and since I did melt a pin head once, I thought maybe going with the glass head pins was a good idea. I also wanted to try out thin pins. So I went online and found some thin glass head pins. Now that I had the new pins, of course I needed a new pincushion for them. So I started it last night and finished it today. It's very simple, but that's all I need for next to my sewing machine. I love the little spools on the fabric! :0)


And remember this pile of pinwheel blocks? Well, they're all sewn together and now they look like...


...this! I love how this little quilt looks. My only problem now is figuring out how to quilt it. The pinwheels are so thick in the middle that I have to try to stay away from the center of the blocks. I guess I might just stitch in the ditch along the seam lines around each block basically. I'll figure something out tomorrow.


20 comments:

  1. Wow! The quilt is awesome. And the pincushion is just cute x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the pin cushion and let me know how the pins work out. The pinwheels went together so nicely. Have fun quilting it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your new background too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute pincushion and love your pinwheels

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job on the 'bonus' quilt! How big is it? I'm in need of some new pins myself, so let us know how you like the new ones.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Funny, I just told my husband today as I was sewing that i needed some new pins. Mine are so dull!

    Your pin cushion is adorable. I use one I won at quilt guild. It is stuffed with walnut hulls!?!?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love using my long thin glass head pins - when I use something else they feel like harpoons. And I keep my different pins in different pincushions and/or containers. Cute pincushion for your new babies.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the pincushion. I press my seams open to i
    Eliminate that dreaded bilk in the center.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a gorgeous pin cushion. Have fun with your quilting today

    ReplyDelete
  10. I switched a year or so ago to slim glass-head pins, too. They work really well for pinning mini quilt blocks without distorting them.
    I absolutely love that little pinwheel quilt, Terry!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I must admit I have never really thought about the pins I use Terry. I'll have to have a better look. Loving your pincushion. The pinwheels look great all together also.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely little pincushion terry and the quilt is wonderful you must have some patients to sew all those pieces together.
    Pam x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Why don't you try spiral quilting from the centre out. It is very easy and effective

    ReplyDelete
  14. You will love those thinner pins. That pinwheel quilt looks so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the new pincushion and I am sure you will love those new pins too . Great use of the pinwheels , cute quilt !

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love your pincushion and the pinwheels. Did you follow a tutorial for the pincushion?
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  17. You will love those pins! Great cushion and pinwheels! L

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very cute!

    Do you post on IG?
    Rumor has it you're starting a new sew along with 9 patches?

    Peggy

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting my blog and taking the time to leave a comment for me! If you don't have a blog or are a 'no-reply' blogger please leave your email address with your comment so I can reply to you. Enjoy your day! :0)