Sunday, January 25, 2015

One more option

As the saying goes, one thing leads to another. Yesterday when I added the little squares to the center of the snowball blocks in mom's design, I thought to myself that I wished I could do that with my snowball blocks. I had thought they stood out on the quilt too much, just a big old white space. Nothing wrong with that, but it was bothering me. So yesterday it came to me...I could add squares to my snowball blocks, if I appliqued them on. Even better...I could add them on point.



So I  laid some out on my design wall and look at the difference! I truly love this quilt now...it just seems more balanced to me without those big white spaces. And this will use up a few more of my scrap squares too. I'll probably use raw edge applique to attach the squares...I haven't decided for sure yet.


And one more thing...I was unable to reply to some comments recently regarding swapping scraps. Would Patty, Edie and Mary Jo please email me using the link on my sidebar. All three of you came up as no reply bloggers so I had no way to contact you. Thanks! :0)

18 comments:

  1. Oh Yes your Snowballs look sew much better with the square in the middle.
    I also felt the Star in my Charming Star Quilt was very prominent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea! It totally changes the look of the design... very cool! And uses more scraps!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So many options! It looks great both ways.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the blocks on your snowballs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love all the different things you can do with the snowball block. Still trying to decide which way I am going to go with mine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this way too.
    It will mean more sewing, but they can be pieced onto the snowball block, starting with the centre square.

    ReplyDelete
  7. looks great... I want to do something similar but with stitcheries...
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with you - adding the center square made a HUGE improvement! I'm not a fan of white in quilts, so this calms down the cold expanse - just like you said! I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the extra square put on point! Really like the new look...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks great, you get more done!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is a fun new look, Terry. Very clever!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love all the different options you can have with one block. It does look good with it being on point

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a great option! It really does fill that chunk of white nicely :) While not using white, I'll be filling my snowballs with stitching :) It seems there might be some very interesting variations in this Sew-along :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great idea to add the squares---it's really neat!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting my blog and taking the time to leave a comment for me! If you don't have a blog or are a 'no-reply' blogger please leave your email address with your comment so I can reply to you. Enjoy your day! :0)