Friday, January 23, 2015

Scrappy Snowballs

Sometimes I wonder if there will ever come a day when I'm not working on a scrappy quilt. Don't get me wrong...I love scrappy quilts. But sometimes it seems like that's all I make. I know that's not true, but I guess I just get tired of sewing with the same old scraps over and over as I try to use them up. I realized that today when I was making snowball blocks for the new sew-along. And then I got to thinking...I wonder if anyone would be interested in swapping scrappy squares with me? It would be like getting new fabric without buying anything. If you're interested in doing a swap, just leave me a comment and we can figure out the details. I have lots of little squares I'd love to share with you! :0)


Now, on to the sew-along. I've been doing some figuring and here's some more info to help you get ready. The one tutorial I had bookmarked said she made 99 blocks...50 nine-patch blocks and 49 snowball blocks. Using 2-1/2 inch squares, the blocks will finish at six inches. The 99 blocks would give you a quilt 54" wide by 66" high. If this is what you want to do, you'll need approximately two yards of your background fabric. If you're like me, you 'll probably buy extra. But this gives you a place to start. And of course if you're making your quilt bigger, buy more. I think I'll be making mine bigger...I plan to keep making blocks until I run out of little squares or background fabric, whichever comes first. And if nobody really minds, I think we'll go ahead and start on February 1. The sooner we get started, the sooner we'll all have a new quilt, right? LOL

18 comments:

  1. Oh, this is going to be beautiful, Terry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Terry! I also feel the same way about scraps and that they are never-ending. Never-ending, but I love them! I have recently purchased a couple pieces of fabric in large enough yardage to use them in and as ONE quilt. Definitely a change of quilting pace!
    I'd maybe be interested is swapping some squares...put me on your list for more info, please!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would gladly send you my entire barrel of 2.5" squares - no swap necessary as I have new scraps coming already.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sharing would be fun. My favorite quilt is one I made for my niece
    using scraps from both my stash and from friends!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't wait to start this quilt with you. Just finished the Charming Star quilt today. I am sure next time we see each other I have some scraps you can have too. Love the start of your Snowball quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I might be interested in your swap. I live in Canada. Let us know what you are thinking. Love your snowball quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OK you've motivated me to buy the backing fabric I need and as I'll also be making it bigger will be ordering 3-4 mtrs so I can use up as many of those pesky squares in one hit! Don't know if I'll make the Feb 1st deadline but will be ready for March definitely :) Barb.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd love to swap Terry but the price of postage is atrocious so i'll have to give that a miss. :(. Will be happy to join the sew along. Hugs,xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think scrap quilts are the best.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looks great already!! I'm looking forward to starting (and using up lots of scraps!).

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love scrappy quilts ... usually I use scraps but I'm joining in with this one using some coordinated fabrics (what a rebel)... woohoo...
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  12. Loving the idea of this next sew-along- and now I have actually finished my top, I would love to sign up for it! Please :) Like Barb not sure I'll make the Feb start in terms of blocks, though I do hope to get some prep done, and have some done blocks in March :) Of course I'll be doing way, way less blocks, though hopefully that will mean I have some chance of keeping up with you all again :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's looking good, I'll look forward to following your progress

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's exactly why I get tired of scrappy quilts too, lol - not that I've made many! I'd had a lot of starts but not many finishes. Your quilt blocks are coming along nicely!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Terri.I am going to join you in the snowball quilt.I would be glad to send you some [ NEW] scraps.lol .They seem to multiply like crazy!!! I enjoy your blog very much.Thank You!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Really love this pattern. 2 1/2" squares, is the background square for the snowball 6 1/2" then?

    ReplyDelete
  17. HOORAY for a new start! I"m going to make mine smaller and use it as a charity quilt for my guild :) I have 30 scrappy 9 patches already done so now i need to start working on the snowballs! thanks for organizing this Terry!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nice idea o swap scraps but as Jeanette said postage from here to you is expensive...
    I try for the Feb stat but may be mid Feb...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting my blog and taking the time to leave a comment for me! If you don't have a blog or are a 'no-reply' blogger please leave your email address with your comment so I can reply to you. Enjoy your day! :0)